Wednesday, February 5, 2014

Antique Tacos

So it is about the journey and not the destination?

I had eaten here before so I sort of knew where it was and what to expect.  I had walked down a couple of blocks with a group from a hackathon at a coffee shop though so was not completely sure.  Thanks go to the young fellow that introduced me to the place and to the Reddit Post that reminded me.

And for those who do not watch the program Check Please

Now to the journey.  This starts for me with a Google Search

So I click on the map, then on directions then on the bus or train icon.  Options are bus to the L and a good walk or short walk to bus then a short walk after getting off.  Time difference was one minute.  So the location really does not get the advantage of the L.  If you are out for a leisurely day though you might take the blue line to the Damen stop and hit a great Walgreen's, Myopic BooksReckless RecordsiCream a record shop and a lot of other places.

So on to the food.  I ordered fish, shrimp and pork.  Tuesdays are seafood night.  The order taker did a little dance for her own benefit but a real surprise to have a happy order taker.  Sat down and waited while enjoying the antiques and music.  Order taker number two brought me my food in a brown paper bag with a clothes pin on top.


The tacos were in little boxes and had the contents written on them.  I appreciate that.



The food looked nice in the boxes and as you can see the eye appeal here is leaps and bounds above the usual taco that gets wrapped in thin white paper and foil and you have to guess the ingredients.  Now the traditional way is not a bad thing and for me often that is the experience I am really expecting.



The tacos were all delicious and generous in their fresh hand made corn homes.  Two are actually plenty and I had to leave half of my third one for breakfast this morning.  Now this is the brisket in Chicago blog and of course I am a smoked and blackened kind of food guy.  The blackened taste though was overpowering so now I will have to force myself to go back and try them again.

Force myself is an old family joke and what we say at family gatherings when offered more deserts than anyone should ever eat.

No comments:

Post a Comment