Monday, January 20, 2014

At Home Brisket

Like At Home Tacos this will be the journal for briskets prepared at home.

1/15/14

So this entry starts with me stuck in a building where if I fire up my smokers everyone thinks the building is on fire and a rabid vegan comes out to try and convince me to give up meat.  Worse yet the seal on my oven has dried out and repeated call to management have gotten me no feed back on a eta for repair.

1/16/14

Midmorning knock at the door and there is our engineer with a new Hotpoint.  He really is a good kid and you can tell that he is feeling like Santa even though his communication skills have left us feeling in the lurch for the last week.

So out I go to a section of Milwaukee Ave. that is up for grabs and to  Ellengee for some briskets and pub burgers.

I have things to do Saturday and Sunday so I am going to initiate that oven quickly.  It has been too long since my chest freezers have had a proper amount of beef and since I have had the primordial pleasure of hauling home and cooking big meat.  I have Woody's Cook-In' Sauce so into the foil covered pan and then the fridge it goes.




1/17/14

I woke up at 2:30 AM.  Not usually glad when this happens but today I am.  I stumble over to the kitchen and breaking my rule of no lights from 7 pm to 5 am I turn on the light long enough to set the oven on 350 F.  At 3 am the brisket goes in.  At 3:30 am the tamp is turned down to 225 F and I go back to bed.  My pan is a bit shallow so the bottom of the oven is lined with foil just in case the fat melting through the meat over flows it.

Five AM and the day starts.



The juice is either removed or used for basting then removed.



3 PM it is ready to cut and I make a proper mess of the tip.




Thankfully I stop at that and later Sherry uses our electric knife to cut up the rest.


It is all good but there are folks who better like slices or chunks or ends or sides or bark.



No comments:

Post a Comment